In December a dozen or so youth workers from around the conference met for lunch and discussion. The purpose was to address some problems in our local churches and how we can solve them. Youth workers are experiencing a spiritual dryness and are struggling with priorities. From that meeting, we have established the very first youth worker accountability group.
All adults that work with youth are invited to participate in this high-commitment group. Everyone who participates is invited to sign the covenant. Each session we will open with a discussion about what God is going in your life. We will share what scripture we are reading and how we are caring for our souls. We will also take turns each month sharing one specific thing we’ve read or seen that has helped us be a better youth minister. This can be a book, article, or scripture that has touched your life.
Our schedule for 2014-15 is:
- September 4th from 12-2pm
- October 2nd from 12-2pm
- November 6th from 11-2pm – the first hour will be meeting and the last 2 will be fellowship and fun!
- December 4th from 12pm-2pm
- We will take January off for Perkins School of Youth Ministry
- February 5th from 11pm-2pm – the first hour will be meeting and the last 2 will be fellowship and fun!
- March 5th from 12pm-2pm
- April 2nd from 12pm-2pm
- May 7th from 11am-2pm – the first hour will be meeting and the last 2 will be fellowship and fun!
This is only the beginning of what this group will become! Other ideas are to visit each other’s youth ministries to get ideas and encourage each other. We are also in the process of developing a dropbox that can be sent to new youth workers to get ideas, learn more, and have access to resources that would be helpful to someone just starting in ministry.
If you are interested in growing deeper, learning more, and becoming a better youth worker, please e-mail Leanne for more information!